Over the last couple of days, I’ve updated a few tools that I have published on the gallery. Here’s the run-down:
AAD Connect Network and Name Resolution Test
I’ve been busy with this tool a lot lately, both adding tests and tweaking the way things are done. … [ Continue reading ]
So, imagine this:
The security team comes to you and asks you for a report on how people are accessing Exchange Online services–browser, mobile, Outlook client. In the olden days of Exchange on-premises, you could look at the IIS logs to check browser traffic. … [ Continue reading ]
I have created a more detailed example of how to do this here: https://www.undocumented-features.com/2018/09/14/fixing-office-365-anonymous-group-write-back-and-external-delivery/
Office 365 Groups are glorious creations. There are, however, some instances where they don’t work as you anticipate (or hope).… [ Continue reading ]
UPDATE: [11/20/2018] I had an error in the transport rule configuration in the last example, as well as a note that a TR would NDR external traffic. I have this post accordingly.
We’re all familiar with how Office 365 tenants work–when you spin up a new Office 365 tenant, you get a managed domain (tenant.onmicrosoft.com). … [ Continue reading ]
While I was working on a script to configure Office 365 Secure Score settings, I came up with a few scripts that I thought would be helpful in monitoring your messaging environments. Many organizations have policies against data exfiltration, but detecting and enforcing are totally different animals. … [ Continue reading ]
Earlier today, I was asked to make an update to my script to wipe Exchange Online mailboxes to include Archive Mailboxes. Fortunately, it ended up being much easier than I anticipated:
When I enumerated the mailbox originally, I used:
$Root = [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.Folder]::Bind($service,
… [ Continue reading ]
A consultant friend of mine posed an interesting question to me this week–one of his customers wanted to be able to let his users administer a cloud-managed Office 365 distribution group by uploading a CSV or Excel spreadsheet. … [ Continue reading ]
Update: I posted roll-back steps at the bottom of the article.
Several months ago, I wrote a blog on Disabling Office 365 Groups. It seems as though we couldn’t leave well enough alone. Such is a price of progress.… [ Continue reading ]
Update: Shameless plug: I’ve written more extensively about public folder migrations from both the 2007/2010 and 2013/2016 perspectives in the book, “Office 365 Administration: Inside Out,” available at http://aka.ms/thebookonit.
So, tonight I started the last phase of one of my longest-running projects since joining Microsoft–an Exchange Online migration for a school district that I began nearly a year and a half ago. … [ Continue reading ]
While migrating users via MRS between organizations (especially to Exchange Online), a pretty common error that I run across is:
You can’t use the domain because it’s not an accepted domain for your organization.… [ Continue reading ]
This script and the accompanying post have been updated.
I saw a request come through the other day for a method to remove unwanted proxy addresses for contacts. I’d had some code sitting around from a project a few years back and decided to freshen it up, and maybe add some newer tricks.… [ Continue reading ]
I find myself currently writing tools to both support my and other organization projects, as well as looking for ways to refine existing tools and scripts, make my life easier for future migrations, and provide additional resources to the community to help other customers more successfully use our products.… [ Continue reading ]
During my current project, it became necessary to capture additional calendar processing parameters that are not preserved during a normal hybrid move–such as booking policies.
Some of the challenges that I faced with this tool:
- Blank or unpopulated attributes
- Conversion of sAMAccountName values to PrimarySmtpAddress
- Multiline attributes with special characters
- Attributes that were set for the wrong recipient type
So, the first thoughts I have when building a tool generally involve four concepts: what data do I need to gather/export, what format is the source data, what format do I need to save it in, and how do restore/import that data back into the target?… [ Continue reading ]
I had a customer migrate some mailboxes a few weeks ago, and they’re now just getting some NDRs. Here’s a sample NDR:
To fix this, you can take the NDR that you receive, copy/paste it into this function, and then take the resultant decoded x500 address and add it back to the proxyAddress array for the recipient.… [ Continue reading ]
Update: There are new cmdlets available for this task. This blog is for historical reference only. A new, updated process is available here (https://www.undocumented-features.com/2017/04/29/disable-office-365-groups-creation-redux/).
Office 365 Groups are a (somewhat) new feature that act both like a distribution list and a public folder or shared mailbox. … [ Continue reading ]
Earlier this week, a question popped up on a distribution list for managing an opt-out process with Exchange Online. That wasn’t the first request I’ve seen for such a tool (in fact, I had my own customer asking for something similar). … [ Continue reading ]
During migrations from third-party platforms like Gmail or various POP3 providers or from hosted Exchange environments, we frequently see customers provisioning remote mailboxes for shared resources.
This works fine for three out of four recipient types.… [ Continue reading ]
If your organization is like a lot of them out there, you have mailbox users without the email address policy applied. It’s a pretty common practice to work around name changes, users with similar names or middle initials, or one-off primary SMTP addresses.… [ Continue reading ]