Just a quick note–if you use this tool, I’ve updated its logging output (though not the tool itself).
Also, I’m always open to suggestions on how to make it better!
You can download the latest version from the PowerShell Gallery: https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/Get-PublicFolderIDFixReport/2.3.2… [ Continue reading ]
Friday, while building a new lab to use while writing a chapter for our new Microsoft Teams book, I went through the normal process in Exchange to request a certificate and apply it. Easy peasy normally, right?… [ Continue reading ]
Since the TechNet Gallery retirement, I’ve had several users contact me regarding the Public Folder IDFix tool that I put out almost 6 years ago. I don’t do a lot of Exchange Public Folder migrations any more, so I shelved a lot of updates and things that I had planned for my public folder tools.… [ Continue reading ]
Just plodding away here–moved the Get-ActiveSyncDeviceReport script to PowerShell Gallery. What is this script, you ask?
Well, you can use it to export a mailbox’s associated ActiveSync Device IDs–great info to have for documentation, security, or during a migration planning event where you need to populate permitted devices.… [ Continue reading ]
A few weeks ago, while helping a customer configure Exchange Hybrid for Teams, we ran into this interesting error:
As I’ve stated previously, interesting in the context of both technology troubleshooting and doctor’s visits is rarely something you want to hear.… [ Continue reading ]
This past weekend, while working with a customer on a new proof-of-concept deployment of Exchange Hybrid and Microsoft Teams, we had a need to validate that no user accounts would be inadvertently updated during the upgrading of Exchange 2003 Recipient Policies to modern Exchange email address policies.… [ Continue reading ]
Yesterday, a peer brought an interesting problem to me:
His customer had been storing data in the on-premises msExchExtensionCustomAttribute properties for users and wanted to be able to use that data in Exchange Online for filtering and dynamic group membership.… [ Continue reading ]
Or at least, every last one that I know.
Over the years, I’ve amassed quite a collection of these. Yesterday, I was helping out a colleague determine what a particular value meant and referenced a spreadsheet that I’ve been maintaining for my own purposes.… [ Continue reading ]
This morning, looking for an answer to something, I stumbled across a question that seemed easy enough to fix: Is it possible to export the GAL from Outlook if I don’t have access to a server?… [ Continue reading ]
Every now and then, I get a ahead of myself. I’ve updated a typo in the script on the gallery, a vestige of when I updated the script to use server-side filtering. The bug revealed itself when you did not use the -Domain parameter.… [ Continue reading ]
While many people use Office 365 retention policies as part of their data governance strategy, there are many customers who either do not enforce retention or do so only for items under some sort of litigation hold.… [ Continue reading ]
The other day, on one of the forums, I came across an issue that I also had with one of my customers a few years ago. In my customer’s instance, they had imported thousands of contacts into an externally trusted forest and deleted them in their primary forest (which then removed the objects from Office 365). … [ Continue reading ]
As luck would have it, I have one more update to deliver today.
One of my peers (shout out to Mike Manning) noticed that when using the ExportImport-CalendarProcessing tool, mailbox objects that have some special characters in them don’t get processed correctly on the import function. … [ Continue reading ]
Four score and many moons ago, I was working on one of my first projects in Microsoft Consulting Services. This particular customer (a university) shared their Active Directory infrastructure with a hospital. During the course of their business, employees would frequently move between organizations. … [ Continue reading ]
Today, I received an email from a customer that one of the scripts I had in the gallery wasn’t working correctly. Yes, I know it’s hard to believe, but I made an update and didn’t regression test completely, and then something stopped working.… [ Continue reading ]