I had a customer recently raise some questions about how to provide further enhancements and protections around their OneDrive for Business deployments. Suppose this scenario exists:
- Users are site collection administrators over their OneDrive for Business sites (default configuration)
- Retention policies are configured, but may only be configured to provide a very minimal amount of data protection (such as 90 days from creation or last modification of data) due to organizational legal compliance
- No retention policies are in effect for the target data (as all the data we’re concerned with is technically older than 90 day creation or last modified date)
- Malicious or disgruntled user deletes OneDrive data
- Deletes data in OneDrive
- Empties recycle bin
- Empties second stage recycle bin
At this point, for any data older than 90 days, it is lost.… [ Continue reading ]
Yesterday, while working with a customer, I was asked if there is a way to programmatically add OneDrive locations to an existing retention policy. Say, for example, you have a blanket retention policy that covers all of your tenant at a base level (which is what I typically recommend to ensure you at least have either belt or suspenders), but then you have a second set of users that need a longer policy.… [ Continue reading ]
While working through an issue with a customer today, we needed to add some OneDrive sites to a retention policy. No problem! Except for the part where no one has a list of OneDrive sites and the user interface doesn’t let you search or browse for them.… [ Continue reading ]
I was shocked to discover that I hadn’t updated the OneDrive for Business Admin Tool since January. Shocked that I hadn’t had any good ideas for it. Shocked, I tell you.
And then, a requirement presented itself for a tenant-to-tenant migration: how big are all of the OneDrive sites?… [ Continue reading ]
Over the past several months, I’ve slowly been adding features to the OneDrive for Business Admin Tool (you can read about the previous updates and features here, here, and here). Earlier this week, one of my peers asked if I knew of an easy way for a customer to search OneDrive for Business sites and delete all files of a certain type (say, video files).… [ Continue reading ]
This tool has been deprecated and replaced with the OneDrive for Business Admin Tool: http://aka.ms/OneDriveAdmin.
On a customer call a few weeks ago, I was asked if we could remove a specific folder across all (or a subset of) their OneDrive for Business sites. … [ Continue reading ]