One of the issues that some of my larger customers have been dealing with is the lack of tooling and planning around moving legacy Exchange Online In-Place eDiscovery & Holds to the new(ish) Security & Compliance Center. Our direction has been to either let them age out or manually recreate them the Security & Compliance Center.… [ Continue reading ]
At long last, I’ve made a first pass at updating the Migrate-EOPSettings script to now include settings for Advanced Threat Protection. I’ve had several customers moving their instances from commercial EOP to Office 365 GCC, and while my Migrate EOP script would capture just about everything, it came to my attention that we still had configuration to do for ATP. … [ Continue reading ]
The other day, on one of the forums, I came across an issue that I also had with one of my customers a few years ago. In my customer’s instance, they had imported thousands of contacts into an externally trusted forest and deleted them in their primary forest (which then removed the objects from Office 365). … [ Continue reading ]
It’s that time of the year again! I’ve expanded upon an existing feature in the AAD Network Test Tool.
One of the prerequisites listed on the AAD Connect support page is to ensure the Turn on PowerShell Transcription GPO is set to Not Configured. … [ Continue reading ]
Four score and many moons ago, I was working on one of my first projects in Microsoft Consulting Services. This particular customer (a university) shared their Active Directory infrastructure with a hospital. During the course of their business, employees would frequently move between organizations. … [ Continue reading ]
Over the last couple of days, I’ve updated a few tools that I have published on the gallery. Here’s the run-down:
AAD Connect Network and Name Resolution Test
I’ve been busy with this tool a lot lately, both adding tests and tweaking the way things are done. … [ Continue reading ]
While working with a partner this weekend on a tenant to tenant migration, we had the need to migrate Office 365 groups. There’s not really a lot of information around on recreating groups and memberships, so I decided to put together a tool to help the effort.… [ Continue reading ]
A while ago, I wrote about a script that I had built for creating BitTitan MigrationWiz connectors with the parameters necessary to do bulk resource mapping. This worked pretty well, until I downloaded the newest version of the PowerShell module when I had to do it for a customer that was already partway through their migration.… [ Continue reading ]
Update: Shameless plug: I’ve written more extensively about public folder migrations from both the 2007/2010 and 2013/2016 perspectives in the book, “Office 365 Administration: Inside Out,” available at http://aka.ms/thebookonit.
So, tonight I started the last phase of one of my longest-running projects since joining Microsoft–an Exchange Online migration for a school district that I began nearly a year and a half ago. … [ Continue reading ]
While migrating users via MRS between organizations (especially to Exchange Online), a pretty common error that I run across is:
You can’t use the domain because it’s not an accepted domain for your organization.… [ Continue reading ]
I find myself currently writing tools to both support my and other organization projects, as well as looking for ways to refine existing tools and scripts, make my life easier for future migrations, and provide additional resources to the community to help other customers more successfully use our products.… [ Continue reading ]
A few months ago, I developed a script/tool to use for a rather large customer divesting from an Office 365 Dedicated environment. As part of the exit, they wanted a contact object in their GAL for every user, contact, and distribution list that existed in the source Office 365 environment.… [ Continue reading ]
In my last Google migration post, I talked about creating a MigrationWiz project with the correct resource and folder mappings to support a large-scale project.
One of the requirements is that the resource calendar *must* be opened/mounted on the calendar of the admin user that you’ll be using on the Google side. … [ Continue reading ]
The script for this post has been updated with new parameters and requires a new version of the BitTitan PowerShell Module.
Tonight, while working with another consultant, we ran into a migration challenge–how to migrate Google resources and calendars to Office 365 shared mailboxes.… [ Continue reading ]
I had a customer migrate some mailboxes a few weeks ago, and they’re now just getting some NDRs. Here’s a sample NDR:
To fix this, you can take the NDR that you receive, copy/paste it into this function, and then take the resultant decoded x500 address and add it back to the proxyAddress array for the recipient.… [ Continue reading ]
If your organization is like a lot of them out there, you have mailbox users without the email address policy applied. It’s a pretty common practice to work around name changes, users with similar names or middle initials, or one-off primary SMTP addresses.… [ Continue reading ]
Recently, I had to work with a customer whose existing mail host was (surprise) not excited to configure a secondary domain for us to help migrate out of the hosted environment.
To give a little background, when we configure a traditional hybrid environment (I love using those terms together), we are configuring two disparate environments to share a single address space. … [ Continue reading ]
I happened to run into the same issue twice in one week–once with a large customer, and once with one of our partners.
Here's a synopsis of the issue:
Mailboxes cannot be migrated via 3rd-party tools because msExchMailboxGuid attribute in cloud is populated due to DirSync/AADSync.… [ Continue reading ]