This morning, looking for an answer to something, I stumbled across a question that seemed easy enough to fix: Is it possible to export the GAL from Outlook if I don’t have access to a server?… [ Continue reading ]
Every now and then, I get a ahead of myself. I’ve updated a typo in the script on the gallery, a vestige of when I updated the script to use server-side filtering. The bug revealed itself when you did not use the -Domain parameter.… [ Continue reading ]
The other day, on one of the forums, I came across an issue that I also had with one of my customers a few years ago. In my customer’s instance, they had imported thousands of contacts into an externally trusted forest and deleted them in their primary forest (which then removed the objects from Office 365). … [ Continue reading ]
As luck would have it, I have one more update to deliver today.
One of my peers (shout out to Mike Manning) noticed that when using the ExportImport-CalendarProcessing tool, mailbox objects that have some special characters in them don’t get processed correctly on the import function. … [ Continue reading ]
Four score and many moons ago, I was working on one of my first projects in Microsoft Consulting Services. This particular customer (a university) shared their Active Directory infrastructure with a hospital. During the course of their business, employees would frequently move between organizations. … [ Continue reading ]
Today, I received an email from a customer that one of the scripts I had in the gallery wasn’t working correctly. Yes, I know it’s hard to believe, but I made an update and didn’t regression test completely, and then something stopped working.… [ Continue reading ]
So, today, I received an email from one of my esteemed colleagues asking how we could get B2B Azure AD tenant guests to show up in the Office 365 GAL. I thought, “Yeah, that should be something that’s possible. … [ Continue reading ]
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore, so do our proxy addresses hasten to multiply.
At least, that’s how it seems. As is the organizational ebb and flow, business objectives change, new business units are spun up, old projects are turned down, and you may need to add or remove proxy addresses in your Exchange environment to account for that. … [ Continue reading ]
Update: I’ve added a shortlink for this tool: http://aka.ms/createlabusers.
Because you didn’t ask for it, I went ahead and added to it.
Well, that’s a lie. I actually had some really great ideas and feedback, so I’ve added a few new features that I wanted to draw attention to:
- Detect existing Exchange session – If you cancel the script to create mailboxes while it’s running, you previously needed to run a Remove-PSSession to close the open Exchange session.
While I was working on a script to configure Office 365 Secure Score settings, I came up with a few scripts that I thought would be helpful in monitoring your messaging environments. Many organizations have policies against data exfiltration, but detecting and enforcing are totally different animals. … [ Continue reading ]
While migrating users via MRS between organizations (especially to Exchange Online), a pretty common error that I run across is:
You can’t use the domain because it’s not an accepted domain for your organization.… [ Continue reading ]
I saw a request come through the other day for a method to remove unwanted proxy addresses for contacts. I’d had some code sitting around from a project a few years back and decided to freshen it up, and maybe add some newer tricks.… [ Continue reading ]
During my current project, it became necessary to capture additional calendar processing parameters that are not preserved during a normal hybrid move–such as booking policies.
Some of the challenges that I faced with this tool:
- Blank or unpopulated attributes
- Conversion of sAMAccountName values to PrimarySmtpAddress
- Multiline attributes with special characters
- Attributes that were set for the wrong recipient type
So, the first thoughts I have when building a tool generally involve four concepts: what data do I need to gather/export, what format is the source data, what format do I need to save it in, and how do restore/import that data back into the target?… [ Continue reading ]
From time to time, I run into environments where things are configured in “non-standard” ways. Granted, we don’t have a lot of specificity or documentation around some attribute configurations because the default configuration has been tested by the people who created the software and works in almost every conceivable situation. … [ Continue reading ]
Today, I had a customer ask me for an ActiveSync device report. Normally, this is a somewhat simple task (Get-Mailbox | Get-ActiveSyncDevice), but in a large environment with hundreds of domains representing different agencies or business units, that is kind of an unwieldy report to run (as well as including a lot of data for out-of-scope users).… [ Continue reading ]
I had a customer migrate some mailboxes a few weeks ago, and they’re now just getting some NDRs. Here’s a sample NDR:
To fix this, you can take the NDR that you receive, copy/paste it into this function, and then take the resultant decoded x500 address and add it back to the proxyAddress array for the recipient.… [ Continue reading ]
I’ve been involved in a lot of Exchange migrations over the years, to and from all sorts of different environments.
On a current engagement, I had to export a ton of cloud-managed distribution lists and their members from Office 365 / Exchange Online Dedicated and import them into Office 365 Multitenant. … [ Continue reading ]